Tuesday, January 27, 2009

"I'm Bored..."

What's the difference between being bored and finding downtime in seeking to balance our hectic lives? The activities (or lack of) which we engage in may look the same to an observer. I think the difference has to do with our attitudes regarding inactivity. I am rarely bored. In fact, I can't recall ever really feeling bored. There's always more good books to read than I'll ever have time for. There are usually friends to talk with and now that I've rediscovered my passion for knitting, there is always a creative project on the needles. Also, moms are too busy to be bored, IMHO.


I saw an interview with Seal last week. In addition to talking with him about singing on America's Song, the reporter asked him about his downtime. This beautiful man just started cracking up. He said, "Downtime? I have 3 kids and a wife. I had downtime in the 90's!"



Relaxing, finding downtime is important to balance out the crazy-business of our lives. Prayer, meditation and yoga are vital downtime activities that help to recharge my spirit. Of course, Hang & Wing would tell me I still don't "get it" as they loll on their pillows for some serious downtime! At least, I'm not bored!

No comments:

Post a Comment